English Language Requirements   

All Global Study Abroad applicants are required to complete an exam that measures English proficiency. Please contact your local U.S. education agency for more information on what exams are available in your area. Some exams are Internet/computer-based, while others are hand written.

Contact us if you have any questions about English language testing.

The common options of exams for testing English proficiency:

  • TOEFL: Test of English as a Foreign Language
  • IELTS: International English Language Testing System
  • PTE Academic: Pearson Test of English

Short term programs will require some proof of English language proficiency. Students may be asked to obtain written verification of English language skills from teachers or advisors.

Students can also submit scores from an internationally recognized English language assessment test, usually the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Information about the TOEFL is available at the nearest Education USA advising center and in most U.S. Consulates.  Students can also take the Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic, a computer-based English proficiency test which delivers real-life measures of test takers’ language ability. The test is designed for non-native speakers who wish to study at an institution where English is the primary language of instruction.

Apply Now               Search Programs